Sunday, May 10, 2009

Las Vegas to Santa Monics

Well, the 300 mile trek from Las Vegas to Santa Moncia went off without a hitch. The Black Bullitt was covered with 5 weeks worth of dust while in storage, but otherwise was in good order.

After getting her hand-washed (for $10 no less!), I stopped at K Mart and picked up some provisions; 5 gallon gas container, antifreeze, triangular reflectors, drinking water (lots of it), oil, etc. Next stop was Gaudin Ford where I picked-up the missing floor mats, and the spar Bullitt wheel & tire and scissors jack. Was headed towards LA on Interstate 15 out of Vegas by around 1400 hours. It was a hot day in Las Vegas, in the upper 90's (but it's dry heat) and hotter crossing the Mojove Desert, must have been 105. The Bullit had no issues in the intense sun & heat, but I did. I forgot you can get sunburned while driving and I even had sunblock on my face.

Didn't get to Santa Monica until around 1930 hours. Traffic on the "10" was unbelievable, multiple pile ups and in West Coast tradition, rubber neckers were slowing things up even more.

Sorry, no pictures today. Nothing worth shooting, just endless desert and smog/smoke hanging over the LA basin.
I'll be happy to see LA in my rearview mirror tomorrow moring!

I'm spending the night at the Travelodge a block from Santa Monica Pier. This place and the Pacific Sands next door, look like they been here since the 1950's. Two story structures surrounded by condo's and commercial buildings. I'll get a picture tomorrow morning, as it does have the old motor court design.

Tomorrow, the real journey begins....

No comments: