Sunday, May 3, 2009

42 Years of Mustang Madness


Less than a week to go and I'll be on the "Mother Road". Looks like I'll be doing the first five (5) days solo, as my good friend Michael (who was going to be my navigator), had to withdraw at the last minute due to business demands. But I'll be meeting brother Tom in Tulsa, OK, so I'll have a co-pilot for the last three (3) days of the journey into Chicago.

Thought I'd post a picture my Black '66 K Code Fastback Mustang. The similarities between it and the '08 Bullitt are obvious, which would explain my affinity for the '08 Black Bullitt.

Some people have asked why I'm not taking the '66 K Code on this trip. There are several practical reasons; having a high compression engine it burns leaded high octane gas and gets 10 mpg (the Bullitt should average 20 mpg on unleaded premium gas), replacement parts (like a radiator or water pump) are near impossible to find, and I'd probably broadside a longhorn steer in Texas if I was driving the classic Mustang. Far fewer worries driving a new Mustang that can be repaired if necessary. Besides, the Bullitt has air-conditioning, power steering & brakes, front & side airbags and is much more comfortable to drive.

Check back after May 10th for the first installment of the Black Bullitt on Route 66....

No comments: